This delicious vegan chocolate cake is incredibly moist and has a light coconut frosting.
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) self-raising flour
- 300g (1 1/2 cups, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 180ml (3/4 cup) melted coconut oil, cooled
- 60ml (1/4 cup) strong black coffee, cooled
- 11/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 x 400g cans coconut cream, chilled for 24 hours
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Coconut flakes, toasted, to decorate
Select all ingredients
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Release the bases of two 20cm springform pans and invert. Line each bake with baking paper, letting the sides overhang. Secure in the pan and grease the sides.
- Step 2Sift the flours, sugar, cocoa, bicarb and a large pinch of salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the combined oil, coffee, vinegar, vanilla and 430ml (1 3/4 cups) water. Use a large metal spoon to stir gently until smooth and combined.Run out of self-raising flour? Learn how to use it making plain flour and baking powder, plus get some tips for measurin…
- Step 3Divide mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes are springy to a gentle touch in the centre. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing the sides and bases and removing the baking paper. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 4Open the chilled cans of coconut cream and scoop the thick cream from the top, leaving the liquid part in the can (It will be about half the can. Reserve the liquid for another use.). Place the cream in a bowl and add the icing sugar and vanilla. Use electric beaters or a stick blender to blend until thick.
- Step 5Place 1 cake on a serving plate and spread with half the frosting. Top with the remaining cake and spread with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with coconut.