- 250g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml water
- 85g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 85g wholemeal flour
- 500g bag dried, mixed fruit
- 50g ground almonds
- 80ml orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3 and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Put the dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour, mixed fruit and ground almonds and stir to combine. Stir in the wet date mixture and the orange juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool