Vegan lemon bars with a creamy lemon filling on top of a soft buttery base! They’re gluten free, 9 ingredients and quick and easy to make.
- 1 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (make sure it’s labeled gluten free if needed)
LEMON CURD FILLING:
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons) + zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 tbsp cornflour*
- 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- small pinch turmeric powder (for colour) – optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F) and line a 20cm square pan with baking paper. Set aside.
- Add almond meal and tapioca flour into a large bowl, and mix until combined. Add coconut oil and rice malt syrup and mix until it all comes together.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom of the pan and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until it is just lightly browned on top.
LEMON CURD LAYER:
- Pour the lemon juice into a medium pot. Add cornflour and whisk well to remove any lumps. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients and and place the pot on medium to high heat.
- Make sure to stir regularly, I like to use a heat resistant silicone spatula for this. The curd will start to form first on the bottom, when you notice this happening, give it a whisk to make sure it stays smooth (continue to whisk now and then). When it starts to thicken, turn down the heat to low. Still stirring regularly, keep cooking until it’s a thick curd consistency.
- Take off the heat and pour onto the base. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into 16 squares. Refrigerate in an airtight container.