Vegan Baked Blackberry Donuts topped with a simple, yet amazing lemon glaze. Donuts are incredibly easy to make and perfect for breakfast! Gluten-free & Nut-free too with options.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted & cooled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flax milk (or dairy free milk of choice) We used Good Karma Flax Milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 cup 1-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (gently diced or use blueberries)
- 1 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 4–5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Make the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 6-cavity donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar then set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cooled butter, and sugar together until combined. Add the aquafaba, lemon zest and lemon extract and whisk until well combined then whisk in “buttermilk”.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Transfer the batter into a disposable piping bag or zip-top bag with a small corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans filling each cavity 2/3 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until donuts spring back when pressed lightly with your fingertip. Cool on a wire rack. Dip the donuts in the lemon glaze.
Make the Glaze:
In a medium bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk in enough lemon juice to create a smooth glaze.
- Any berry of your choice will work. Try this with blueberries, strawberries or raspberries.
- If the glaze begins to stiffen while dipping the donuts, try warming it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it back up.