Black bean brownies (vegan and gluten-free) that require just 1 bowl and about 30 minutes to prepare!
Healthy, easy, and delicious – the best kind of dessert.
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 25 minutes
TIME 30 minutes
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan
Freezer Friendly 1 month
Does it keep? 3-4 Days
- 1 15-oz. can black beans (well rinsed and drained // 1 can yields ~ 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 large flax eggs (2 heaping Tbsp (~16 g) flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp (90 ml) water as original recipe is written)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (melted // or sub other oil of choice)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 heaping cup organic cane sugar (slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Crushed walnuts
- Dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan (not mini // adjust pan size if altering batch size). Make sure you’ve rinsed and thoroughly drained your black beans at this point.
- Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (besides walnuts or other toppings) and puree – about 3 minutes – scraping down sides as needed. You want it pretty smooth.
- If the batter appears too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon or your finger.
- Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides. I found mine took about 25.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently with a fork. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don’t be concerned if they seem too moist – that’s the point. Plus, they’re vegan so it doesn’t really matter.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.