Image source: VeggieApp
What better way to warm up on a rainy autumn day than with a slice of spicy chocolate gingerbread? Get out of the rain and into the kitchen and get baking! It takes less than an hour to make a freshly baked gingerbread.
Spicy chocolate gingerbread
This gingerbread is a healthier alternative to the sugar-based packaged ginger breads you might find in the supermarket. With coconut and a banana filling, it makes a delicious, fibre-rich snack. Bananas contain potassium, which is good for a healthy heart.
|100 g||coconut flakes|
|1 tsp.||ginger powder|
|150 ml||coconut milk|
|5 tbsp.||sunflower oil|
|15 g||broken linseeds|
|2 tsp.||baking powder|
|2 tbsp.||cocoa powder|
- 1Put the linseeds in a bowl. Add 2.5 tablespoon of water per tablespoon of linseeds.
- 2Put the oatmeal and the coconut flakes in a blender or food processor and mix briefly until the oatmeal has been ground into a flour.
- 3Cut the pecans into small pieces. In a separate bowl, combine the oatmeal and coconut flake flour with the baking powder, the spices, the cocoa powder, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- 4Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- 5Blend the dates together with the oil and coconut milk in a blender or food processor and put the mixture in another bowl.
- 6Mash the bananas and add them to the linseed mixture in the first bowl. Then combine the banana linseed mixture with the dates, oil and coconut milk in one single bowl.
- 7Add the oatmeal and coconut flake flour little by little to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir gently until everything has been well stirred.
- 8Grease a large cake tin with some oil. Then, pour the mixture directly into the cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
- 9After 50 minutes, turn off the oven and let the cake tin cool down.
- 10Remove the cake from the cake tin and let it cool down further. You can help the whole cake cool by turning it over after 15 minutes and letting it reach room temperature.