|390 g||all-purpose flour|
|100 g||cocoa powder unsweetened|
|2 tsp.||baking soda|
|1 tsp.||sea salt|
|480 g||coconut milk|
|200 g||vegetable oil|
|60 ml||apple cider vinegar|
|1 tbsp.||vanilla extract|
|450 g||cherries frozen|
|50 g||granulated sugar|
|2 tbsp.||kirsch or brandy|
|almond milk as needed|
Chocolate ganache ingredients
|180 g||vegan chocolate chips|
|60 ml||plant milk|
|2 tbsp.||vegetable oil|
Method for the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease two 23cm round cake tins with cooking spray and line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cake comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely in the tins.
Method for the filling
- In a small saucepan, combine the cherries, granulated sugar and kirsch or brandy. Bring to a boil over a medium heat and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl, stir in the vanilla, and let it cool. Add another splash of liquor, if desired.
Method for the frosting
- Blend the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and mix until the mixture is even.
- Whisk on high for a further 2 minutes until light and fluffy. If needed, add plant milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin out the frosting.
Method for the chocolate ganache
- Melt the chocolate chips and add the plant milk. Whisk in the vegetable oil until smooth.
- When the cakes have cooled completely, run a knife around the inside edge of each tin to loosen them and gently slip them out. Peel off the parchment paper.
- Spoon half of the cherry filling over one of the cakes, drizzling the liquid evenly.
- Spread the frosting over the cherry filling. Place the second cake on top of the first, bottom-side up, and spread the chocolate ganache evenly over the surface. Add the remaining cherry filling on top.