- 1 Hour
- Serves 3
Try this vibrant Sri Lankan beetroot curry for an easy vegan midweek meal. This bright and colourful recipe is packed with plenty of flavour and it’s low in calories, too
*This recipe is gluten-free according to industry standards
- vegetable oil 2 tsp
- curry leaves 10
- mustard seeds 2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds 2 tsp
- cumin seeds 2 tsp
- ready-made garlic paste 2 tsp
- ready-made ginger paste 2 tsp
- cinnamon stick 5cm piece
- green chilli 1, finely chopped
- beetroot 500g, peeled and cut into wedges
- sea salt 1 tsp
- coconut milk 400g tin
- coriander leaves to serve
- rice to serve
- STEP 1Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the curry leaves. Once they are sizzling, add the mustard, fenugreek and cumin seeds, and fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger pastes, cinnamon and green chilli, and fry for another minute.
- STEP 2Add the beetroot and salt, along with 150ml of water. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove the lid, tip in the coconut milk and simmer for another 15 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the beetroot tender.
- STEP 3Serve with coriander leaves and rice.