- 30 Minutes
- Serves 3-4
This dairy-free recipe for coconut pancakes with strawberries and lime syrup is a delicious start to the day. Plus, they’re under 500 calories
- self-raising flour 175g
- dessicated coconut 50g
- baking powder 1 tsp
- icing sugar 2 tbsp
- egg 1
- coconut milk 300ml
- strawberries 400g, hulled and halved or quartered if large
- lime 1, zested and juiced
- coconut oil
- coconut yogurt or soya coconut yogurt to serve
- STEP 1Mix the flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder, 1 tbsp icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a big bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the egg, then whisk a little incorporating in some of the dry ingredients. Pour in the coconut milk a little by little and whisk in too, until it’s all been incorporated into a smooth batter.
- STEP 2Put the strawberries in a bowl with the lime zest, then sprinkle over the lime juice followed by the last tbsp of icing sugar. Toss together until the sugar has dissolved and the strawberries are slightly syrupy.
- STEP 3Heat a tsp of the coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Ladle in small spoonfuls of the batter to cook three pancakes at a time for a few minutes each side – flipping when bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the batter. Keep adding more oil and more batter, until all the batter is used up. You can keep the first pancakes warm under a clean tea towel as you cook the rest.
- STEP 4Stack the pancakes between plates and spoon over the syrupy strawberries, then dollop on some coconut yogurt to serve.