These are rich and delicious chocolate cupcakes—what more do you need to know? The frosting is made with dates and gets surprisingly fudgy. You can top each cupcake with a berry to make them extra special.
- 2oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup date sugar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/3cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon backing soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 tbsps rice syrup
1/2tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Instructions for frosting
- Put the boiling water and cocoa powder in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture is relatively smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender. Be careful not to let steam build up.
- Add the dates, brown rice syrup, and salt to the blender. Blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the vanilla and blend until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Let chill completely, for at least 3 hours, until it becomes firm and spreadable.
Instructions for cup cakes
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone liners or have ready a nonstick or silicone muffin pan.
- To melt the chocolate, use a double boiler or simply take a small sauce pan and fill half way with water. On top of that place a small sauté pan. Fill the sauté pan with chocolate and bring the water to a boil. Use a rubber spatula to mix the chocolate as it melts. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside. (Alternatively, you can also melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk and vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes, until curdled. Stir in the dry sweetener, applesauce, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the mixture to the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and beat until no large lumps remain.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup three-quarters full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cupcakes cool for at least 20 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges of each cupcake to remove.