15 – 20 Mins
- vegan butter, room temp
- 1/4 Cup / 50g almond butter
- 4 pieces of whole grain bread
- 1/2 Cup / 100g fresh berries of your choice
- A few mint leaves, torn to shreds
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
Who doesn’t love an ooey-gooey toasted sandwich? We’ve packed this one with almond butter and a few other surprises to make this wicked healthy sandy that’s perfect for breakfast or lunch … although we won’t judge if you also want to make this for dinner!
Makes 2 sandwiches
- Spread a small amount of butter on one side of each slice of bread, make sure it is room temp and spreadable.
- Smear almond butter over the unbuttered side of two of the pieces of bread. Top with a generous amount of fresh berries in any artistic way you like, add a few mint leaves, don’t be shy about piling them on. Drizzle maple syrup on top of the berries and place the other slice of bread, buttered side up, on top.
- On medium heat, heat up a cast iron or grill pan. Place the sandwich into the pan and press down lightly with a spatula. After a minute, flip and repeat on the other side, repeat as needed until golden brown. Much like roasting marshmallows over an open fire, heat until your desired griddled colour is achieved.
- Remove from heat, slice into fourths, garnish with fresh mint and serve warm.
OPTIONS: Try this with all sorts of combos, different seasonal berries, fresh sliced strawberries etc. Works great when you’re trying to cut down on processed sugar intake and sugary jams