Try our impressive pie recipes for an easy vegan dessert. The vegan pastry is deliciously crisp and crumbly, with extra texture from the chia seeds. Plus, it’s packed with rum-soaked roasted pineapple and plenty of spice
1 hour 30 minutes + chilling + resting
- coconut milk 400g tin
- dark rum 5 tbsp
- soft light brown sugar 200g
- dairy-free spread 25g
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- ginger a thumb-sized piece, sliced
- cinnamon stick 1
- cardamom 5 pods, crushed
- cloves 3
- star anise 1
- pineapple 1 extra large, quartered, cored then cut into chunks
- coconut yogurt to serve
- chia seeds 1 tbsp
- plain flour 250g, plus extra for dusting
- coconut oil 75g
- dairy-free spread 75g
- icing sugar 25g
- Step 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.For the filling, put the coconut milk, rum, sugar, dairy-free spread, vanilla, ginger and spices in a large pan and gently heat, stirring, until combined, then bubble fiercely for 5 minutes.
- Step 2Lay the pineapple chunks flat in a roasting tin and pour over the rum syrup. Roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway and spooning over the rum syrup as you do so. Leave the pineapple to cool in the syrup.
- Step 3For the pastry, mix the chia seeds with 3 tbsp water and leave for 10 minutes. Put the flour, coconut oil, dairy-free spread and icing sugar into a food processor. Pulse until no lumps of coconut oil are left, then add 2 tbsp of the chia water (including the seeds, discard the rest) while pulsing. When the mixture comes together into a ball of dough, tip onto a lightly floured worksurface and shape into a smooth disc. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Step 4Remove the pineapple chunks from the syrup and discard the whole spices and ginger. If the syrup looks a little thin, reduce it down in a pan.
- Step 5Tip the pineapple chunks into a deep 20-23cm pie dish and pour the syrup all over the top. Carefully roll out the pastry on a lightly floured worksurface – it’ll be delicate, like shortbread dough. Cut into triangles and use these to cover the pineapple filling (leaving lots of patchy gaps), including the pie dish rim. Trim the excess by running a sharp knife around the edge of the dish and chill for 1 hour.
- Step 6Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is pale golden and crisp. Serve with coconut yogurt and eat straightaway.