7-11 hours 15 minutes
3 hours soaking time for cashews; 15 minutes to make the yoghurt; 4-8 hours or overnight to set the yoghurt
Serves: 8-12 servings
Simple, quick, creamy and tasty! This makes a really nice alternative to bought vegan yoghurt, (most of which are either soya or coconut based). You will need a high-powered blender, eg Nutribullet or similar in order to get the cashew cream base very creamy. Or if there are lumps, sieve it.
Just organise it so that you soak the cashews for at least 3 hours (or before you leave for work). The yoghurt making is simple and quick – after that, you leave it to set in the flask for a few hours.
If you can buy raw (unroasted) cashews from a health food shop, ethnic grocer or similar, they will usually be a better deal than those tiny supermarket packs, so it’s worth shopping around – either in high street shops or online. Cashew pieces also work well and are much cheaper.
- 1L/4 cups unsweetened soya milk or almond milk
- 2/3 cup cashew pieces, soaked in water for 3 hours and drained
- 3 tbsp plain, live, unsweetened nondairy yogurt, eg Sojade or CoYo
- Soak the cashews for a few hours or overnight.
- When the cashews are soft, drain them of their soaking water. Put 250ml/1 cup of the plant milk and all the cashews in a blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a heavy medium saucepan and stir in the remaining plant milk with a whisk.
- Warm over low heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture reaches 43ºC degrees (a few degrees above blood temperature) or until a few drops placed on the wrist feel slightly warm. Remove from the heat.
- Add the non-dairy yogurt (or starter) and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a clean food thermos flask and place the lid on. Let it rest in a warm place for 4-8 hours, until set and the desired degree of tartness has been achieved.
- Refrigerate the yogurt, preferably in a clean glass jar. It will thicken even more as it cools.
- Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, this yoghurt will keep for 1 to 2 weeks.