15 MINUTES PREP TIME
Impress everyone with this ‘share and tear’ berry bread and let Saturday brunching begin. Serve with fresh berries and a plant-based alternative to yoghurt.
185 mL unsweetened almond drink
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
70 g caster sugar
320 g gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
150 g mashed banana
Granulated sugar for coating
60 g blackberries, fresh or frozen
30 g raspberries, fresh or frozen
160 mL water
100 g brown sugar
- Grease a Bundt pan with plant-based alternative to butter or oil.
- Heat the almond drink until warm but not hot (about body temperature). Add in the yeast and caster sugar. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, Vanilla Vega® Essentials, baking powder and salt. Mix in the melted coconut oil and mashed banana.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and mix with your hands. The dough should be thick enough to roll into soft balls. If too thin, add in more flour and if too thick add in a small amount of water. To test the density, drop a ball on the counter – it should flatten.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on to a baking tray.
- Roll the dough into approximately 1 inch balls and then roll in the sugar. Arrange the balls in the bottom of the Bundt pan with the berries.
- In a saucepan, melt the water and brown sugar over a medium heat. Once melted, bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute – watching closely. Pour over the dough balls and berries.
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ gas mark 4.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before eating.