Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
This heavenly vegan Black Forest cake is incredibly delicious and contains only plant-based ingredients. The recipe is simple and can be made sugar-free and gluten-free. It’s a perfect cake for a birthday or as a dessert for a cozy afternoon.
For the chocolate cake:
- 1 1/3 cup (gluten-free) flour * (175 g)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (25 g)
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar or erythritol (100 g)
- 5 tbsp cocoa (30 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp neutral oil (60 ml)
- 200 ml sparkling water (or plant-based milk)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the cherry compote:
- 12 oz cherries (350 g) canned
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar or erythritol (50 g)
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (30 g)
- 1 cup juice from the cherries (230 ml)
For the cream:
- 2 cups plant-based cream (500 ml)
- 2 packs of cream stabilizer
- 1/2 tsp ground bourbon vanilla
For the decoration:
- 7 cherries
- 3-4 tbsp grated vegan chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C) and line the bottom of a 7-inch round baking tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, corn starch, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oil and sparkling water and mix with a whisk to combine, add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar last. Fill the batter into the baking tin and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then cut into 3 equal cake layers.
- (Optionally, you can divide the batter in 3 baking tins and bake for about 15 minutes).
- Drain cherries and collect the juice.
- Stir 2-3 tbsp of the cherry juice with sugar and starch. Bring the remaining cherry juice to a boil in a pot, stir in the starch mixture using a whisk and bring to a boil again while stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat, let cool a bit and gently fold in the cherries.
- Beat cream with an electric hand mixer on high speed for about 1 minute, then add cream stabilizer and continue beating until stiff. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until ready to use.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread half of the cherry compote evenly on the bottom cake layer, then spread over a thin layer of cream. Top with the second cake layer, spread over the remaining compote followed by another cream layer. Top with the third cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake with remaining cream (save a small portion of the cream for the decoration and fill into a piping bag).
- Pipe 7 rounds of cream on the top of the cake and place a cherry over each one. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and refrigerate cake for at least 1 hour- before serving.
- Enjoy! 😊