Vegan and gluten-free caramel squares
For the base:
- 125g (4½oz) coconut oil
- ½ a large banana, peeled, mashed
- 50g (1¾oz) coconut sugar
- 225g (8oz) plain gluten-free flour
For the caramel:
- 300g (10½oz) creamed coconut, grated
- 100ml (3½fl oz) tinned coconut cream
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
For the topping:
- 200g (7oz) dairy-free chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- sugar decorations, to garnish
- Line a 20cm (8in) square baking tray with baking paper, and preheat the oven to 170ºC/Gas Mark 3. Cream the coconut oil, sugar and banana. Add the flour and form into a dough. Press into the lined baking tray, smooth with the back of a spoon and prick all over with a fork. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin before topping with the coconut caramel.
- For the coconut caramel, gently heat the coconut cream in a small pan with the maple syrup and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add the grated creamed coconut. Stir well to fully combine. Allow to cool, then spread it evenly on top of the shortbread.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a bowl over a very hot, but not boiling pan of water. Mix well, then pour over the coconut caramel and cover with your chosen decorations. Allow to set at room temperature for 2-3 hours before slicing into squares.