Neither bread nor pastry, brioche is hard to resist thanks to its rich and tender crumb and flaky crust. Here’s a vegan recipe that yields soft, fluffy and buttery rolls without the eggs or dairy!
Course Breakfast Cuisine baking
Keyword dairy free, vegan baking, vegan bread, vegan recipe
- 60 ml tepid soy milk
- 2 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tbsp instant dried yeast
- 160 g plain flour
- 32 6 soy flour or gram flour
- 2-4 tbsp soy milk
- 32 g golden caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sponge mixture and leave for a few minutes until the mixture starts to bubble slightly, now to add the dough ingredients.
- Sift in the plain flour and soy flour and add the soy milk, caster sugar and salt. Stir together until well combined then stir in the vegan margarine, 2 tablespoons at a time, until well incorporated and you have a nice wet dough.
- Knead only for about 2 minutes in the bowl to ensure everything is combined well. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge to rise very slowly for about 8-20 hours (I left mine overnight).
- After the dough has been sitting in the fridge for about 8 hours or more, remove from the fridge, punch down and roll into a ball and separate the dough into 8 even pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and place evenly apart on the base of an 8″ round cake pan. Cover the cake pan with a tea towel leave to prove for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place before baking brush with soy milk.
- Bake in the oven at 180c/350f for 20-25 minutes until the bread turns a glossy dark golden brown on top.