The perfect combo, apples and cinnamon, baked to deliciousness in these vegan gluten free scones. Drizzled with cinnamon glaze you won’t be able to resist!
Course Dessert Cuisine American
Keyword apple cinnamon scones, vegan scones Prep Time 15 minutesCook Time 15 minutesTotal Time 30 minutesServings 8 sconesCalories 326 kcal
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- ¾ cup raw pecans
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted raw almond butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¾ cup peeled chopped apples
- ½ cup chopped pecans as topping optional
- ½ cup powdered coconut sugar see instructions
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Put all dry ingredients into a food processor (first seven ingredients). Pulse multiple times until pecans are in small pieces. You can leave them a little bigger if you prefer. Put mixture into a large bowl.
- Put almond butter on top of dry mixture, and using a butter knife or pastry cutter, cut it into the mixture until crumbly. If you have never done this before, you literally cut the almond butter until you get crumbly pieces. You can also switch to using your hands to crumble it once the almond butter is covered in flour.
- Put milk and apples into bowl and using your hands incorporate until you get a ball of dough.
- Place dough on parchment lined cookie sheet. Form into a thick circle, around 7 inches in diameter and 1 inch tall. Cut the circle into eight equal pieces and separate them.
- Bake scones at 400F/200C for 11-13 minutes, until they JUST begin to brown. Start checking at 11 minutes as all ovens vary. Don’t over bake, they will cook more as they cool. Cool at least 15 minutes before glazing and eating.
- While they are baking, make glaze by simply mixing all ingredients in a bowl until you get a thick glaze. To make powdered coconut sugar, simply pour regular coconut sugar into a blender and blend until it forms a powder. It works best in a high powered blender.
- Once the scones are cool, drizzle glaze over the top. The glaze will harden eventually. Try not to eat them all.
- You can try using toasted pecan pieces but you may need a touch more milk to get back the moisture that raw pecans give to the recipe.
- I haven’t tried this so not fully sure, just be advised. You can also try using roasted almond butter but the flavor may be a tad different. If you can’t have soy, try using coconut milk, the kind in the carton, not canned.
- Tips to prep ahead: Chop apples and pecans for topping. Make glaze.
- Baby/toddler food idea: Great snack for kids. For younger babies make sure to grind the dry mixture well to avoid large pecan chunks, and leave out the chopped pecans on top.
Nutrition FactsVegan Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Scones with Cinnamon Glaze
Per ServingCalories 326Calories from Fat 153% Daily Value*Total Fat 17g26%Saturated Fat 1g5%Cholesterol 0mg0%Sodium 196mg8%Potassium 378mg11%Total Carbohydrates 39g13%Dietary Fiber 4g16%Sugars 15gProtein 6g12%Vitamin A0.4%Vitamin C0.7%Calcium13.2%Iron9.8%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.