Just like granny used to make! This is lovely spread on toast, of course, but also makes a great filling for a sponge cake. Afternoon tea anyone?
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon – 3 tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 3 oz (85g) white caster sugar
- 2 1/2 oz (70g) vegan margarine
- Dissolve cornflour in a little juice.
- Put rest of ingredients into a saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved. Gradually add this mixture to the cornflour mix, stirring well.
- Return all to the pan and boil until mixture coats the back of a spoon – not more than 1 minute. Put into a warmed jar and cover with greaseproof paper until cold.
- Replace greaseproof with lid and store in fridge.
Keeps well for over 3 weeks in fridge.