Skip the takeout and try this easy sushi recipe at home. A twist on the classic California roll, these are as much fun to make as they are to eat. Rolling with the rice on the outside takes a little extra dexterity but the eye-catching sushi-bar results make it worth it.
Ingredients 4 servings
- Wild Blend Rice
- 1⅓ cups black rice, rinsed
- 2⅔ cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets nori
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 Persian (mini) cucumber, sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- ½ ripe mango, sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- ¾ medium ripe avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup Sriracha or wasabi mayonnaise
- Prep 40minutes
- Ready In 1 hour 10 minutes
- To prepare rice: Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 30 seconds. Add the mixture to the rice and fluff with a fork. Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- To prepare rolls: Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap. Place one nori sheet, glossy-side down, on the mat. Using wet hands, spread and press 1 cup of rice to cover the nori. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Flip the nori so the rice side is on the plastic wrap. Arrange one-fourth each of cucumber, mango, avocado end-to-end across the bottom third of the glossy side of the nori. Use the mat to tuck and roll the nori tightly, wetting the last inch of the nori to seal the roll. Then use the mat to gently press and shape the roll. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more rolls.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each roll into 8 pieces, wiping the knife clean with a damp towel between slices. Serve drizzled with mayonnaise.
- Equipment: Bamboo sushi mat
- Serving size: 8 pieces
- Per serving: 499 calories; 23 g fat(2 g sat); 8 g fiber; 58 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 57 mcg folate; 65 mg cholesterol; 9 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 800 IU vitamin A; 21 mg vitamin C; 94 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 745 mg sodium; 308 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4