- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican
Chewy and ‘meaty’ vegan taco meat! High in protein, versatile and crazy delicious, this tofu and walnut taco meat is ideal in your tacos or over the top of your nachos!
- 2 cups (200g) Walnuts
- 16oz (450g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add walnuts to the food processor and process into crumbles. Mash the tofu with a fork. Add the crushed walnuts and tofu pieces to a dish.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup and tomato paste to a jug and whisk into a thick sauce.
- Mix the sauce in with the tofu and walnut crumbles and mix in until everything is coated in the sauce.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and spread out evenly across the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, bring it out at the 15 minute mark and give it a stir and then put it back in.
- Serve in tacos with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole.
*If you want this vegan taco meat to be entirely gluten-free then use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari. If you use a regular (not dark) soy sauce, the color of the taco meat will be much lighter.
*This makes a fairly large portion, enough for 6 people if served with tacos and other fillings.
*Nutritional information is for vegan taco meat only and not anything else you would serve it with.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 6)
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Fat: 28.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 14.7g