Bake a batch of our decadent vegan chocolate brownies for an indulgent treat. Our unique recipe is super chocolaty so vegan and non-vegan friends and family will all love it!
- 50 minutes + cooling
- makes 16
- ground or milled flaxseeds 3 tbsp, (see notes below)
- dark vegan chocolate 200g
- vegan butter 100g
- plain flour 150g, sifted
- cocoa powder 50g, sifted
- baking powder 1 tsp
- caster sugar 200g
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- almond milk 150ml
- Step 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line a 23cm x 23cm square brownie tin with baking paper. Mix the ground flaxseeds with 6 tbsp of cold water in a bowl, then set aside to thicken.
- Step 2Melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave or a bowl set over (but not touching) a pan of simmering water. Cool slightly to room temperature.
- Step 3Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl.
- Step 4Whisk the caster sugar into the chocolate mixture until smooth and fully combined. Add the flaxseed mixture, vanilla extract and almond milk, and stir to combine. Finally, fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Step 5Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is cracked but the middle is just set. Cool completely, then lift out of the tin and cut into squares.
Flaxseeds are a good substitute for eggs in vegan brownies because they help to bind the mixture, and are available from Holland & Barrett, amazon.co.uk and larger supermarkets.