Red Velvet Hot Cocoa
The rich cocoa and vanilla flavors of red velvet cake are abundant in this tasty, warm drink…minus the red food dye. The color of this drink is so pretty, thanks to beet root powder. The beet root also lends a rich sweetness to a cocoa-y classic.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder Use 1 tablespoon if you like a lighter chocolate
- 1 tablespoon beet root powder
- 1/3 cup Water
- 16 ounces Unsweetened almond milk Use any milk you love
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Brown sugar Or any sweetener you want
- 2 tablespoons whipped coconut cream Optional
- In a medium sauce pan over low heat, whisk the cacao powder and beet powder into the water until smooth. It should form a thin paste. (PS does the word “paste” remind anyone else of the Friends episode with Ross’s leather pants?!?)
- Whisk in the almond milk, vanilla extract, and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and the milk is steaming hot.
- Pour into two mugs, topping with coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of cacao powder and beet root powder. Or, chill and serve over ice!
Protein: 3.62 g
Carbohydrate: 14.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.376 g
Total Sugars: 4.858 g
Total Fat: 6.731 g
Saturated Fat: .369 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Calcium: 463.1 mg
Sodium: 187.9 mg