Learn how to make an awesome cold Orecchiette Pasta Salad, which has a salty and peppery kick with a slight sweet tang.
Course Main Dishes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 9 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups baby rocket or 2 cups regular rocket roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups sliced strawberries
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to boil with 6 tablespoons of kosher salt. Once the water has reached a boil, add the orecchiette pasta. Bring the water back to a boil and cook for 13 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a strainer (do not rinse it) and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Toss with the dressing and feta cheese, mixing until well incorporated and the feta has become a creamy coating. Spread the pasta out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Once the pasta has cooled, transfer it to a medium sized bowl. Add the rocket and strawberries, tossing until mixed evenly. Serve with a drizzle of traditional aged balsamic vinegar (or balsamic reduction) if desired.
For making cold pasta, use 4 tablespoons of salt for every 4 quarts of water. You can really taste the salt on the pasta because of this so when making the dressing (olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper), consider reducing the salt to 1/4th teaspoon rather than a 1/2 teaspoon. You can then add more if needed once the salad is completely mixed together. I didn’t do this and I loved how it turned out with a 1/2 teaspoon salt, but I tend to like things more salty than most. I also added more sweet strawberries to counter the salt.