Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 45 minutes
- 1 pound large carrots peeled, spiralized, and riced-about 2 to 2.5 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms chopped
- 1.5 cups cubed butternut squash I used frozen
- 1 leek thinly sliced (the white and pale green part)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth preferably homemade
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice I used fire-roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 grinds pepper
- 2 cups collard greens stems removed and thinly sliced, or kale
- Peel and spiralize the carrots.
- In small batches, with a high speed blender or food processor, rice the carrot spirals (with a Vitamix, pulse on speed 3 for a couple of seconds). Repeat until all the carrot spirals are done.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Once warm, add the mushrooms, onion, leek, garlic, and butternut squash and sauté until soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the almond flour and tomato paste and stir until the flour is well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add a 1/2 cup dry red wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add the carrot rice.
- Cook on low for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Add the collard greens (or kale) and re-cover. Turn to high and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.